This status is granted to those who wish to work temporarily in Canada. Depending on the country of origin, a visa is required to enter Canada, so it is necessary to make the application on time and meet the requirements of the Government of Canada before the planned date of travel.
The list of countries that require a visa to enter Canada can be found on the Immigration Canada page of the corresponding country. However, in the advice given by Angelica Gonzalez-Blanco, each case is carefully analyzed and all information and procedures are communicated to clients so that no delays or surprises come up during the process.
The requirements for a temporary worker visa include:
- Having a job offer or the employer's employment contract in Canada and the confirmation of the labor market opinion or LMO (English acronym for Labor Market Opinion)
- Demonstrate that the applicant and all persons traveling with the applicant will leave Canada at the end of the work period
- Demonstrate that the applicant has sufficient financial resources to cover their expenses and those of the people traveling with him during his stay in Canada
- Show that none of the people who plan to travel have criminal records
- Provide all the documents required by the immigration office of the Government of Canada where the application will be filed
- Demonstrate that the applicant and all persons traveling are in good health
- Fill out the appropriate forms and pay the corresponding immigration visa fees according to the number of people who are traveling.
The temporary worker visa is the document that allows you to travel to Canada. However, upon arrival, an immigration officer will be the one to generate the work permit, which may be subject to the following conditions:
- The type of work in which the applicant may work
- The employer for whom the applicant may work
- The city or province in which the applicant may work
- The time for which the applicant is authorized to work
- Family members who plan to travel with the applicant are not allowed to work or study during their time in Canada. However if they do wish to study or work in Canada, they must complete a procedure to obtain a work permit or a case study. Processing times for this visa vary according to the country where the service is requested. The Government of Canada are the ones who determine the wait time.
It is important to note that it is difficult to obtain a change of status within Canada. If during your stay in Canada as a visitor you receive a job offer, the applicant must manage their change of status from visitor to temporary worker outside Canada and meet all requirements of the Canadian Immigration office where it will be filed on record.
Currently there are several international treaties that allow citizens of certain countries to obtain open work permits in Canada. However, this must be handled in accordance with the law.